Location: Nashville, Tennessee
The Charge Nurse is assigned to a designated clinical area to assist in assuring a patient/family focused environment. Works under the direction of the Manager/ Supervisor to develop, implement and evaluate systems that promote cost effective, quality patient care. The Registered Nurse, Charge is a frontline member of the leadership team.
* Coordinates patient throughput.
* Holds healthcare team accountable to clinical and service standards.
* Partners with the healthcare team for day-to-day execution of the mission and strategic plan of the organization.
* Acts as a clinical resource for novice staff members as well as assisting experienced staff in problem-solving skills for complex patient care situations.
* The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
* Evidence-Based Practice (Advanced): Recognizes, Implements, and evaluates practice changes based on published research. Demonstrates expertise in applying evidence-based practices to challenging and complex situations.
* Care Planning (Intermediate): Demonstrates ability to anticipate and plan for complex resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work. Collaborates with members of the health care team to identify desired outcomes. Anticipates problems and obstacles before they arise. Able to adapt changes to patient care and area needs with minimal loss of disruption and loss of productivity. Develops creative ideas and takes innovative action to achieve planned goals and objectives. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to role model and coach less experienced peers.
* Nursing Patient Education (Intermediate): Demonstrates mastery of patient education in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of providing patient health education services without requiring instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
* Nursing Patient Assessment & Evaluation (Novice): Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to assess and evaluate patients in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Conducts primary care patient interviews and physical examinations. Demonstrates sufficient acumen to recognize problems, ask questions and to contact the patient's primary care provider and other members of the healthcare team. Has experience in gathering pertinent clinical data that aid in referral, treatment, or other primary care pathways.
* Leadership (Fundamental Awareness): Understands the difference between managing people and leading people. Demonstrates leadership with peers and as a member of a team. Influences others positively in work situations without having commensurate authority. Shows technical leadership by taking responsibility for projects and assignments. Demonstrates company values, high ethical principles and personal integrity in everyday activities.
Our Nursing Philosophy:
We believe highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt University Medical Center's mission of quality in patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
As a Vanderbilt University Medical Center employee, you make a difference to our patients and their families by bringing compassion and care to those in need of hope and healing. Please see our current employee benefits offered:
- Affordable High Quality Health Plan Options
- Dental and /or vision plan
- 403 (b) retirement plan
- Paid Time off (flex PTO)
- Tuition Reimbursement and adoption assistance (maximums applied)
- Short-Long term disability
- Subsidized backup childcare
- And many more... Ask us about our current inpatient nursing supplemental Pay Program!
Achieve the Remarkable:
Learn more about VUMC Nursing:
Organizational Impact: Delivers projects/assignments that have a direct impact on goals/objectives of the unit/department that the job is in. Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Conducts extensive analysis of situations or data to resolve numerous, complex issues; may involve the input/work of others. Breadth of Knowledge: Has in-depth level of knowledge within a professional area and working knowledge of other areas. Team Interaction: May lead mid-sized projects; coaches and guides team members.
Core Capabilities :
Supporting Colleagues: - Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy, and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance e and gain knowledge in new areas. - Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships. - Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences. Delivering Excellent Service: - Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions. - Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness. Ensuring High Quality: - Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly. - Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them. - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring. Managing Resources Effectively: - Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area. - Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities. Fostering Innovation: - Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches. - Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges. - Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
LIC-Registered Nurse - Licensure-Others
Relevant Work Experience
Graduate of an approved discipline specific program
For a copy of the physical requirements of this position to determine if you can perform the duties with or without an accommodation or to request an accommodation, please contact VUMC Employee Relations at 615-343-4759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.