Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Description NEW Student Nurse Externship for rising senior ADN & BSN nursing students. Opportunities available in our acute adult and pediatric medical-surgical units, only.
10 week program (May 30, 2023 - August 5, 2023) 24-36 hours per week available
The goal of the Student Nurse Externship experience is to provide undergraduate nursing students with an extended clinical experience to enhance their foundational nursing education.
- Work within the scope of the Nurse Extern role as defined in the job description and Nurse Extern Task list at all times
- Work with RN preceptor
- Complete NA II orientation checklist
- Engage in other learning opportunities (e.g. observe procedures, go to other depts.)
- Practice physical assessment and discuss with RN (cannot document)
- Demonstrate clear and effective communication
- Documentation in the medical record is limited to NAII scope of practice
To learn more about our acute adult and pediatric medical-surgical units, click here: https://www.uncmedicalcenter.org/app/files/public/bc1cba8a-6409-4b28-9bf0-3b2400192b8a/pdf-careers-nursing-Nurse%20Extern%20Depts.pdf
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
1. Identifies and prioritizes nursing needs of patients and families.
2. Makes sound clinical judgments, appropriate to current knowledge and skill level, while acknowledging limits of knowledge base and initiates steps to ensure safety.
3. Performs nursing interventions as noted on the multidisciplinary plan of care developed for patients within limits of the role and under direct supervision of RN Preceptor.
4. Observes, collects, and documents patient information obtained while providing care and promptly report significant changes in the patient's condition to RN Preceptor or Physician.
5. Assists patients and their families during admission to the clinical area, orientation to the hospital/clinic/home health experience, and discharge.
6. Provide direct personal care independently to patients as outlined in plan of care activities such as bathing, dressing, feeding, and assisting with ambulation. Measure and record vital signs, patient height and weight. May be responsible for specimen collection, skin preps/scrubs, catheter care, capillary blood glucose checks, simple wound care, range of motion exercises, and/or postural drainage. Performs Oxygen room set-up and monitors oxygen flow rate, performs oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal suctioning, tracheostomy care, sterile dressing change wound irrigation for wounds that are 48 hours old, IV fluid assembly and monitoring, IV site care, and discontinue peripheral IV, ostomy care, and urinary catheterization. Performs established oral, nasogastric, and gastrostomy tube feedings.
7. Provides indirect care to patients and assigned areas including, but not limited to, cleaning the work area, changing linens, re-stocking supplies, and transporting patients/ supplies/ specimens.
8. Participates actively in discharge planning of patients, reinforces routine teaching given to patients by the registered nurse or physician, and documents patient understanding of instructions. Distributes patient education materials at the request of patients and/or health care providers.
9. Participates actively during change of shift patient bedside report.
* Completion of junior (first year) level in a Professional ADN or BSN School of Nursing and evidence of active enrollment in a nursing school required
* Listed as Nursing Assistant II with the North Carolina Board of Nursing.
* Listed as Nursing Assistant I with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
* Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
* None required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Nursing Staffing Systems
Work Type: Temporary
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Rotating
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No
This is a State position employed by UNC Health Care System.
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
UNC Health makes reasonable accommodations for applicants' and employees' religious practices and beliefs, as well as applicants and employees with disabilities. All interested applicants are invited to apply for career opportunities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a reasonable accommodation to search and/or to apply for a career opportunity.