Location: Newark, Delaware
ChristianaCare is looking for a Registered Nurse for the Ferris School.
Ferris School is a secure care, ACA accredited treatment facility providing services for up to 72 court committed males, ages 13 to 18. The average length of stay is six months, followed by a six-week transition program. Youth committed to Ferris are identified as serious and/or chronic repeat offenders, who pose a risk to themselves or others and require intensive rehabilitative treatment.
Ferris offers a structured learning environment that integrates all elements of rehabilitation: Education, programming, treatment, and therapeutic clinical programs at the start of each day. Programming is individualized and prescriptive to meet the needs of the youth. Staff is trained to view every interaction with the youth as a learning opportunity to enhance their pro-social skills. Throughout the youth's stay, treatment staff maintains contact with the family to assist with a successful family reunification.
Youth programming includes: Drug and alcohol treatment, conflict resolution, aggression replacement training, violence prevention, gun violence, victim sensitivity, and youth mentoring services.
- This is a part-time 24 hours per week, shift is 7a to 7p.
To be a professional caregiver who assumes responsibility and accountability for youth in detention at Delaware Juvenile Detention Centers and provides care to these patients through the nursing process in collaboration with other health care team members.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform nursing assessments and collect data on adolescent patients on admission and sick call. Manage patients within scope of practice with referral to physician or advanced practice nurse as required. Evaluate plan of care including patient response and outcomes according to established standards.
- Assess patient knowledge deficits, identify learning needs, and provide appropriate patient education. Establish and maintain a sound knowledge base of nursing care necessary for patient population.
- Respond effectively to emergencies and patient crisis situations.
- Adhere to universal precautions, established infection control practices, and established safety policies and procedures. Utilize effective verbal and written communication skills with patients, management, physicians, and the interdisciplinary health care team.
- Navigating the FOCUS system that provides tracking of medication prescribed for children in detention. Gathering the information needed regarding medications prescribed and enter the medication information into FOCUS.
- Accessing and maintaining the LIMS STD system through the Delaware Public Health Lab.
- Preparing charts/ information for Psychiatrist to perform Tele-Psych weekly.
- Completing yearly Vaccines for Children (VFC) trainings and keeping temperature logs up to date in the Log Tag System, reporting any temperature outside of the required range immediately.
- Maintaining stock supplies/medications as well as their expiration dates, disposing of properly when necessary.
- Performance Based Standards monthly reports as well as PBS injury reports as needed.
- Manage patient medication and administer dispensation safely and effectively.
- Interpret test values and report abnormal values with follow-up in accordance with specific guidelines. Maintain required credentials of CPR, mandatory in-service education and required continuing education.
- Demonstrate skills and knowledge necessary to provide care appropriate to adolescent patients, including knowledge of growth and development, the ability to obtain and interpret information to identify patient needs, and to provide the care needed.
- Performs assigned work safely, adhering to established departmental safety rules and practices; reports to supervisor, in a timely manner, any unsafe activities, conditions, hazards, or safety violations that may cause injury to oneself, other employees, patients and visitors.
- Performs other related duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- BSN required, ADN considered with agreement of completion of BSN in 3 years.
- Two to three years nursing experience preferred; work experience with adolescents beneficial.
Are you passionate about serving our patients with Love and Excellence? If so, consider applying for this position and upload your updated resume at the time of application. We look forward to hearing from you!
#L1 - CS1