Explore and excel. At Banner Health, health care is a team effort. One might be surprised by the number of people who work behind the scenes and play a critical role in ensuring the best care for our patients. Apply today.
As the Orthopedic Technologist, you will work in our Level 1 Trauma Center at Banner Desert. You will have the opportunity to build relationships with the goal of making an impact on our patients at such an important time in their lives. You will be an active and engaged change agent; dedicated to the needs of our patients and families. Steadfast to safe, kind, effective, efficient, evidenced-based and high quality clinical care, outcome focused and solution oriented.
This is a full time, day shift opportunity. Typical hours will be Monday through Friday with a start time of 6am or 7am. Some weekend days may be required. Enjoy a flat rate $1/hour weekend shift differential.
Located on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona's largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Cardon Children's Medical Center If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Cardon Children's Medical Center in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for assisting providers in delivering medical care, as well as implementing and evaluating direct patient care. This position utilizes specialized knowledge, judgment and skills necessary to provide appropriate patient care.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Applies, adjusts and removes casts, splints, immobilization devices and traction. Removes sutures, staples, pins and wires; changes dressings and cares for wounds. Measures and fits patients for braces and other orthopedic devices. Educates patients about various orthopedic conditions.
2. Assists physician in reduction of fractures and dislocations. Assists with and performs the removal of orthopedic hardware. Able to interpret most types of orthopedic fractures and dislocations on x-ray films.
3. Performs first and second assist functions during procedures and surgeries under direct supervision of a surgeon. Knowledge of all operating room aseptic techniques, including setting up proper draping and surgical fields. Positions and prepares patient for various orthopedic surgical procedures in operating room; including fracture table setup, patient positioning, and specialized orthopedic instrumentation.
4. Assists providers with examinations, including obtaining medical history and vitals, draw up injections, and taking necessary measurements. Instruct patient in pre and post-operative care, proper care of casts and splints, and crutch training.
5. Documents all information into the patient records system accurately and completely to ensure maximum reimbursement. Obtains all necessary signatures and documentation. Provides administrative support in orthopedic department when needed.
6. Orders, tracks and maintains product inventory. Replenishes and disperses supplies within the exam rooms to ensure all rooms are appropriately stocked and readily accessible.
7. Maintains a clean, functional environment including cleaning and disinfection of equipment, exam rooms and storage areas. Performs basic maintenance of equipment and coordinates needed maintenance for prompt repairs.
8. May supervise and train other non-certified Cast/Orthopedic technologists.
9. This position functions with limited supervision and is responsible for all aspects of the patient experience. Interacts with all levels of staff in a variety of departments, physicians, patients/clients, families and external contacts, such as vendors and employees of other health care institutions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge.
Current BLS certification. Current Registered Orthopedic Technologist (ROT) certification.
Requires knowledge of medical terminology, insurance processes, and general billing/coding processes as typically obtained through one year experience in a hospital or physician practice environment. Requires strong computer skills, including the ability to work with medical software. Requires exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Requires the ability to manage multiple changing priorities in an effective and organized fashion.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Current certification as an Orthopedic Technologist by the National Board of Certification for Orthopedic Technologists (NBCOT).
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.